For several years now, Yoga has been one of the favourite disciplines around the world. An Indian discipline based on meditation and body exercises, we count to date millions of practitioners only in the UK. But beyond the trends, yoga brings a lot of considerable benefits both physically and mentally. As its practice does not require many types of equipment. Indeed, only the yoga mat is really essential. Besides, the regulars practice yoga even on the move. Hence the need for a travel yoga mat.
In order to guarantee the comfort and safety of practitioners during Yoga sessions, the market currently offers a wide selection of travel Yoga mats. Apparently simple material, it should be well chosen. Especially since it has an impact on the achievement of different Yoga postures. To help you find the right product for your relaxation sessions, we have taken the time to deepen the subject. We will address the essential criteria for its acquisition, to continue with recommendations on its use and answer a few recurring questions. Also, for more information, follow us until the end.
What is the best yoga travel mat?
The key to a good portable mat is that it is lightweight, occupies little space, but does not sacrifice the grip and the cushioning of joints.
In this guide, I will leave you my favourites for any type of escape. All with an ecological and compact construction capable of entering a small briefcase.
Heathyoga ProGrip Non Slip Yoga Mat
- ☑Intense Grip and Anti-slip: Polyurethane (PU) is well-known for its great non slippery properties, and has excellent performance while keeping your hands and feet from slipping on the mat even when “sweaty wet”. It keeps you super safe and always in place no matter what type of yoga you practice.
- ☑Instructional Alignment lines: The alignment lines help you to focus and adjust your hands and feet to the accurate position, and keep body in proper alignment.
- ☑Eco Friendly and Odorless: This Natural, Eco-friendly mat does not have that strong lingering odor like other mats have. It’s 100% recyclable, PVC-free, Non-Toxic, and free from ozone-depleting substances.
The Heathyoga ProGrip is without a doubt the best travel yoga mat of the year. Indeed, at the same time, pretty, practical, non-slip and light, it combines many qualities for really very few defects. Thus, it measures 183 cm long by 66 cm wide. It will, therefore, be able to adapt to most body types. In addition, with a weight of only 1.8 kg, it is relatively light and therefore easy to transport. Transport made even easier by the storage bag supplied with this travel yoga mat. Finally, its major asset remains its unique instructional alignment: a set of lines that will allow you to be perfectly aligned on your yoga mat, in order to execute your postures safely. In fact, it will be perfectly suited to both beginners and professionals.
Yoga mat eKO Lite Manduka
- Manduka eKO® yoga mat is the sensible companion for yoga sessions.
- Free from harmful substances and manufactured in an emissions-free process.
- Manduka uses natural, recyclable, durable and organic materials.
The best thing about this mat is that thanks to its natural construction it does not run off and is very soft to the touch. It is made in a friendly way for the environment and our environment because it is free of toxic materials. It has the perfect combination of padding and thinness.
Harmony Jade Yoga professional mat
- 180cm x 0.5cm; 2.2kg
- Made from natural rubber
- Jade Yoga plants a tree for every mat sold
It is another option made in a sustainable way with natural tree gum. It has a firm fill that is concentrated when folded, which makes it perfect for travel. It is an economical alternative that is designed for indoor practices so I recommend not exposing it to the sun.
Liquidbalance Clever Yoga travel mat
- SUPER LIGHT AND TRAVEL READY. Weighing only 2.2 pounds and with 1.0mm thickness, this luxurious travel mat rolls up nicely in luggage (folding NOT recommended). The ends will not curl up but will remain perfectly flat due to the natural rubber base.
- NO SLIPPING AND SLIDING or worry of losing your grip. Stay planted and stable with unmatchable grip, even during the sweatiest practices. Just place over yoga studio mat for more cushion. The most elegant topper mat on the planet!
- BODY-FRIENDLY. No toxic chemicals, PVC or latex. Natural and clean materials. Top layer is thin, clear coat of clean polyurethane which has quick drying properties. Bottom layer is natural tree rubber. Layers are bound by heat, no toxic glues.
With 1 mm thickness, it is a super thin mat. Its lower part is made of natural material that gives stability without so much thickness. In the upper cover there is a layer of polyurethane that does not slip and facilitates quick drying so it does not accumulate any bacteria.
Yoga mat Ultralight Yogo
- PORTABLE – Take your yoga practice anywhere on-the-go with this premium mat. The most portable travel yoga mats on the planet, YOGO Ultralights fold up easily into a tiny rectangle that fits in a purse or backpack. Use the patented attached straps to clip this foldable yoga mat into a bundle so it stays neat, then tuck into your backpack or luggage. We also sell a long, extra-wide version of this mat. Just search for “YOGO Long Ultralight”.
- EASY CLEAN – The top-to-top fold keeps your travel mat clean and protects your body from dust and mold. Use the attached straps to just rinse or wash it off in the shower, and air- dry it overnight.
- PLANT-BASED VEGAN MATERIAL – Our choices in life make an impact on the planet, so vote with your toes for this eco-friendly yoga mat made with sustainably-harvested tree rubber! The durable material will last for years of asanas and not harm the planet at its end-of-life. Contains no: PVC, EPA, PER, PU, or TPE.
It is my favourite for beach practices and it is so compact that it fits in a summer bag without inconveniences. It gives a lot of grip but not as much cushioning, but it is perfect for naturally soft surfaces like sand or grass.
Foldable yoga mat IVIM
- HIGH-QUALITY MATERIAL: Free From Phthalates & Latex, healthy and durable, easy to clean
- NON-SLIP DESIGN: Skidless texture provides stable footing for ultimate performance,improved grip balance comfort and weight
- FOLDING PORTABLE: Easily folds to 10 x 12 inch/25 x 30cm and easily fits into your carry-on or tote bag,it is the ideal travel yoga mat
This mat is thick and voluminous, but extremely light so you will not notice the weight in a backpacker’s backpack. Provides enough cushioning what is appreciated on a cheap and portable mat. Its grid design allows it to fold easily and without taking up so much space.
What is the difference between a travel mat and a regular yoga mat?
The travel versions are thinner and portable. The main advantage is that they take up little space in luggage and do not weigh much. In the rest of the components are equal, both in size, cushioning and support for the exercises.
Benefits of having a travel yoga mat
Although the term travel is clearly put forward in this type of mat, it is not only intended for travellers and nomads. Indeed, because of its advantages, the vast majority of practitioners opt for this model.
To briefly touch on its advantages, we will mention its lightness which reduces annoyances when travelling. In addition, some models are supplied with a carrying bag and have straps.
A travel yoga mat is also distinguished by its finesse and practicality. In short, this accessory constitutes an effective and reliable ally whether for yoga sessions at home or outside.
How to choose the best travel yoga mat?
It is important to know the dimensions of our base when it is deployed.
Each brand in addition to a full length and width of the mat has a specific measure for when we roll it up. This is the one that matters to us when we pack it.
Less than a kilo and a half is fine. More of that will be synonymous with buying an almost regular model.
If we choose a model that is too small, we will be throwing aside the ability to give resistance to the slip provided by any mat, something important is a daily practice and in trips where we will not know the surface of the ground.
The essential criterion for comfortable sessions, the thickness of a travel mat is obviously thinner than that of a traditional mat. Generally, it is recommended to choose a mat measuring 1.3 to 1.8 mm thick to leave you sufficient thickness to protect your joints and insulate you properly from the ground.
Type of trip
If it is a family walk, the mat can be colourful, however, if it is a work trip better go for a sober print and enter a briefcase.
Some styles may be inconvenient for humid environments. This will cause our mat to sweat and not allow us to move from one position to another with the appropriate ease. On the other hand, a mat too smooth can lose grip and not be a slip.
Good support for our body is important, especially in positions that require cushioning to the joints. Luckily, the market has developed stable styles and fine but soft and cushioned for the most sensitive.
The good thing about travel presentations is that they are more easily washable than an open foam mat that quickly absorbs stains.
In this comparison, all are light and thin to facilitate their transport and this is because in a rug that must be carried on slopes in different places is essential to have a lightweight material and easy storage.
How to use a travel yoga mat?
For those who practice yoga more than once a week, acquiring a mat will be beneficial and above all more appropriate. Certainly, most Yoga rooms borrow yoga mats for its regulars, but it is always better to have your own equipment. It’s safer and more hygienic. Just as you will be able to reproduce the postures and do a session at home. The practitioner will be able to get more involved and enjoy the benefits of a yoga session every day.
Understand how it works
Regarding its use, regardless of the model, the operating principle of a travel yoga mat remains the same. It requires no special precautions, nor any specific tool for its installation. In the room with other participants, outdoors, on a beach, at the hotel or other, whatever the place, you should know that properly installing the yoga mat optimizes comfort and facilitates the achievement of different postures.
Find the place
Then you have to find the right location. Note that yoga is not just a physical discipline, it is based on meditation and good vibes. Also, for positive emanations, you must choose the place conducive to good waves. In addition, if you are in class, it is important to comply with the teacher’s provisions.
To come to the pose, you should put the travel yoga mat on the floor and roll it out lengthwise. Note that to move faster, it is best to use both hands and stay straight. Also, the mat will be perfectly in line and ready for use.
Finally, we advise you to store the matt correctly, once the session is over. For this, it is important to use a waterproof bag, if it is not supplied with a transport bag.
How to clean your travel yoga mat?
It is essential to maintain your travel yoga mat properly to ensure optimal durability. It is recommended to clean your mat once a month or once every two months maximum depending on your frequency of use. There are two ways to maintain your yoga mat.
Most often, all you need to do is use soap, lukewarm water and rub with a soft cloth. Gently rub your mat until all stains and all traces of soap have been completely removed.
First of all, you will need to check that your mat supports machine washing. Then, you will need to select a cycle for fragile laundry, with cold water and, above all, without spinning. In addition, it is recommended to use a mild detergent (organic detergent or soap nuts for example).
Do not put your travel yoga mat in the dryer. For optimal drying, it is best to dry your mat flat. It is also recommended to extend it away from direct light, in order to avoid degradation of colours and your mat more generally.