Do you want to protect yourself against mosquitoes? These small insects that spoil our beautiful summer evenings and gently transmit diseases that are sometimes fatal (Zika, Malaria, chikungunya, etc. Here you can find the best mosquito repellent, that will help you to prevent mosquito bites!
What is the best mosquito repellent?
The best product will depend on many factors: the sensitivity of your skin and smell, if you are allergic, your preferences and tastes and, obviously, your budget. You will always find something economic and quality.
It is advised that the product you select does not affect you in any way. Yes, maybe you do not have pecks, but it is not very effective if it produces a cough allergy.
You should check the concentrations and safety of the active ingredients. The price and time of protection are also essential.
If you still do not know which one to choose, maybe this comparative list will help you:
Guard mosquito repellent
If you visit areas where mosquitoes transmit diseases, this mosquito repellent spray can save you a lot of headaches.
Will take care for up to 8 hours of the possibility of contracting diseases such as Dengue, Zika, Malaria, Lyme disease.
Suitable for pregnant women and children 24 months and older.
Biteback mosquitoes repellent
For better protection against mosquitoes, flies, ticks and other insects, this lotion with spray pump will come in handy.
It is an anti-mosquito with DEET, picaridin and other components, suitable for adults and children, from two years onwards and pregnant.
It has a pleasant smell and works for up to 8 hours.
Moskito Guard insect repellent wipes
Recommended by experts, this Moskito Guard brand repellent is ideal to take on short trips and prevent bites.
This manufacturer has released this model of the product in the form of wipes, suitable even for pregnant women and children from two years.
You will not get sticky and it’s waterproof.
Goibi Mosquito Repellent XTREME
Ideal for you to take care of the bites in extreme conditions, more so if you suffer from allergies, this lotion will protect you both indoors, outdoors and other places of high risk.
It is very used to travel to places where there are excess pests and diseases. It is easy to apply.
Relec anti-mosquito spray
Composed of essential oils to repel mosquitoes, this repellent guarantees efficiency and a duration of up to 8 hours.
It is suitable for tropical climates where insect sting diseases predominate. You can use it in the sun, first putting on sunscreen.
It has a pleasant smell and it is recommended not to put on clothes.
Natrapel Mosquito Repellent
If you are tired of homemade repellents made with natural ingredients that do not work, this option will make you immensely happy.
Very effective and with a pleasant floral aroma contains 20% picaridin
Although it is non-toxic, it is also recommended not to throw it directly on the face, avoid placing on irritated skin.
What to look for when choosing a mosquito repellent
There are a number of elements that you must necessarily take into account when buying a good mosquito repellent so that you can select one that works well and does not cause any discomfort or allergies. So, for example, you should pay special attention to:
You should look at both the active ingredient and its concentration, this, especially to ensure the effectiveness and also the safety of the product. Most repellents contain three basic ingredients in various concentrations: DEET, picaridin and lemon eucalyptus oil. All are safe even for the use of pregnant women, we will explain a little more about each of them.
- Deet: It is a compound called N-diethyl-meta-toluamide, responsible for driving around from mosquitoes to ticks. Although it is a mistake to think that, the more, the better, and that it works well in high concentrations, the truth is that in low doses it does not work either. Experts recommend that the product you choose has between 15 and 30 percent concentration of DEET. Less than that will not work and more can be a risk, especially if you have skin sensitivity or if you are pregnant. It can not be used in babies under two years of age.
- Picaridin: Also known as Icaridín this component is asynthetic ingredient extracted from a compound that comes in black pepper. This you must use it with care because it can cause irritations. The tests recommend using it in concentrations of 20%, preferably in aerosols, where it is usually more effective.
- Lemon Eucalyptus Oil: It is a natural compound that is extracted from eucalyptus and can be used in concentrations up to 30%. It will keep ticks and mosquitoes away. You should avoid contact with your eyes and for nothing in the world use it on the skin of children under 3 years.
- IR3535 and 2-undecanone: IR3535 is a man-made compound that is structurally similar to a natural amino acid, while undecanone is a compound found in rue, wild tomatoes and several other plants. They are not highly effective, but they work. You should use them with caution, especially in children.
How to apply repellents
The maximum protection is also guaranteed with the correct application, here we explain how:
- Apply on the skin as indicated on the product label
- Do not exaggerate in doses, use enough
- Do not apply on cuts or wounds. If it is on the face place first in the hands and then the hands to the face, avoid eyes and mouth.
- Do not use near food, wash your hands well after placing the repellent and before eating or drinking
- Do not let the kids rub themselves with the repellent, you should put them carefully.
- Do not put on clothes or bed because it stains or damages fabrics
- At the end of the day wash your skin well and remove the remains of repellent.
How often to apply mosquito repellent?
The manufacturers are optimistic, they promise 8 hours of peace, sometimes more. In reality, it is always less and it varies depending on the individual and the context (rain, sweat, etc.). When a product is good, the average duration of protection measured during laboratory tests is rather around 4 hours. Rather than relying on the indications on the packaging, you must apply a new layer as soon as you feel the mosquitoes approach, and above all coat generously if you want good protection.
How to relieve itching from mosquito bites?
No luck, despite your precautions against mosquitoes, you are bitten and itchy! Here are a few tips to quickly and naturally relieve you from mosquito bites.
Fuse Scent lavender essential oil to relieve a mosquito bite
Apply lavender essential oil in small drops on the bite and gently penetrate. You can use some pure lavender on the skin if you are not allergic.
The essential oil of real lavender is reputed to be calming and sedative, perfect for small daily sores and for skin problems like acne.
Apply a compress of water soaked in vinegar for a calming effect. This can dry out the skin slightly, but if you can tolerate the acidity, you can apply pure vinegar to the mosquito bite.
Calm the itching from a mosquito bite with tea bag
A wet tea bag will also relieve itching. You can use a used sachet, there will be enough tea to relieve you.
Avoid swelling of a mosquito bite
When mosquito attacks you, you quickly notice swelling at the place of the mosquito bite. In order to alternate the tricks used against itching due to mosquito bites, acotton pad soaked in ice water will have an anaesthetic effect.