A manual breast pump is an accessory that is very useful for mothers with infants. It is true that breastfeeding is becoming more and more popular. The many benefits of this diet are pushing an increasing number of mothers to adopt it.
However, it may happen that they face several obstacles. It can be a resumption of professional activities, intense fatigue after pregnancy or even concerns about the appearance of the breasts. The manual breast pump, discreet and practical, is the ideal solution to manage this period which can be the source of various concerns.
Using a manual breast pump certainly solves all these problems, but you still have to choose the right model! Finding the best manual breast pump will not be easy as there is a plethora of them on the market. To help you decide, we have selected the best of the most competitive products at the moment.
By consulting our buying guide, you will know what are the criteria to take into account to find the model that will be perfectly suited to your needs and will allow you to feed your baby optimally.
What is the best manual breast pump?
When it comes to feeding our babies, breast milk will always be the best option, full of everything necessary for them to grow healthy and strong.
However, for reasons of work, time, inverted nipples or other factors, there are women who resort to a manual breast pump that always allows having a bottle prepared to feed the baby.
Finding the best one will depend on different factors, such as its size, ease of use, comfort and compatibility with bottles, as well as a padded mouthpiece that is comfortable for the mother.
1. Manual breast pump Philips Avent
The Philips Avent manual breast pump has the particularity of working even if the mother is sitting upright. It is, therefore, unnecessary to lean forward when drawing milk. Designed to be compact and light, it also has an ergonomic handle to guarantee a comfortable grip and total control of the device during its use.
Its size and weight are perfectly suited to nomadic and discreet use. Its flexible massage cushion reproduces baby’s suckling movements as faithfully as possible in order to promote natural milk flow. If necessary, it is possible to order this massage cushion in a larger size in order to adapt it more easily within the mother. The number of parts of the Philips Avent SCF330 / 20 is limited, which guarantees easy assembly and maintenance and is compatible with a dishwasher.
The device is supplied with a polypropylene bottle and a large extra-soft silicone nipple imitating the shape of the mother’s breast, a sealing disc to keep milk safely and a set of samples including 4 breast pads ( 2 by day and 2 by night). In addition, the pacifier and bottle included with the device are from the Natural range.
This range has been specially designed to facilitate a smooth transition from breast to bottle thanks to a flexible design close to the mother’s breast. The device is also compatible with other products in the Philips Avent range.
2. Manual breast pump MAM
The Mam breast pump is a simple and comfortable manual model which does not forget to display design and colours different from what is traditionally done. Indeed, its white and apple green design as well as the small patterns it sports make it a pleasant-looking device which, once the pump is removed, can quite pass for a simple bottle.
A small wheel allows you to adjust the suction level in order to adapt to the different needs of nursing mothers depending on their sensitivity. In a simple turn of the dial, the vacuum is created entirely between the breast and the device for 3 seconds, thereby creating a more abundant flow. The extra flexible material of the funnel makes it possible to adapt perfectly to the shape of the maternal breast and thus to provide a real comfort of use.
In addition, soft pads ensure the stability of the breast pump and enhance the feeling of comfort. The handling of the device is instinctive, as is its maintenance and assembly. Being made up of four elements, it only takes a few seconds to assemble and disassemble it. In addition, the MAM breast pump is sold accompanied by an anti-colic bottle with a capacity of 130 ml and two sealing discs.
The bottle, like the pump, does not contain BPA or BPS and is covered with a non-slip coating allowing, again, comfortable and serene use for both the mother and the newborn.
3. Manual breast pump Chicco
The Chicco Natural Feeling breast pump is a manual device designed to allow mothers to breastfeed naturally for as long as possible while respecting their skin sensitivity. To do this, this breast pump allows obtaining a soft and serene expression thanks to a natural flow. The anatomical bell is also made of extra-soft silicone, which offers delicate contact with the skin and controlled flow regularity.
Its ergonomic silicone handle is enhanced with a soft, non-slip coating to guarantee effortless grip and limit the fatigue that can be felt in the arms when expressing with a classic breast pump. Compact, simple to use and easy to maintain, this Chicco breast pump can easily be slipped into the bag and follows active mothers in their daily lives. In addition, the product is offered with a teat fully patented by Chicco. This unique teat has a double valve and is tilted to always stay full of milk and thus fight against colic and indigestion.
Its unique shape and the rounded base also allow babies to reproduce the same suction movements as if they were sucking on the mother’s breast. The extra-soft silicone of the pacifier recalls the softness of the mother’s breast, making this breast pump and this bottle a great way to help the baby make the transition from breast to bottle very smooth. Finally, the breast pump is perfectly compatible with the Chicco bottles from the Step Up New and Well Being ranges.
4. Lansinoh Manual Breast Pump
What you like most about this breast pump is not only its excellent price-quality ratio but also its ease of use and the possibility of choosing between two modes: one that will stimulate the breast and another to achieve manual removal in the most comfortable way.
5. Medela manual breast pump
This breast pump highlights its two modes of use, like the previous one, helps to stimulate the breast to achieve a better extraction.
By having a compact size, you can take it anywhere, being an excellent option for when you go on a trip.
6. Manual breast pump SONARIN
This is another of the market’s great options, an economic breast pump made of resistant materials that will withstand high temperatures.
It has a completely ergonomic design, easy to hold while being used, at the same time that it stimulates the natural lowering of the milk.
7. Manual Breast pump NUK
It is an ergonomically designed breast pump that, thanks to its comfortable handle, allows a more comfortable extraction.
In addition, its soft silicone cushion stimulates the breast to achieve greater milk production, so that your little one can feed at any time.
8. Manual Breast Pump Tommee Tippee
For a relaxed and comfortable extraction, this Tomee Tippee breast pump will be your best options, with a soft and flexible cup that adapts to the breast, offering waves of special massages that serve to achieve more milk in less time.
9. Manual breast pump BellaBaby
This is a breast pump that you can easily sterilize with boiling water, to eliminate bacteria, mould and fungi.
It is also a breast pump made of safe and ecological materials, free of BPA, without having concerns about batteries or charging the equipment to be totally manual.
Benefits of the breast pump
- It becomes a really useful tool for women who want to keep feeding their babies milk but have to return to work. And, thanks to the breast pump, they can have bottles with that product for their children to take when they are away from home.
- It also becomes a useful product for women who are shy when it comes to breastfeeding in a public place. In this way, they will express the milk at home, put it in the bottle and then give it to the children when they are hungry when they are travelling or on the street.
- It goes without saying that having one at home is, in the same way, a very good option when the baby, because he is premature or for any other circumstance, does not just latch on well. In this way, even if you are not able to breastfeed, that does not mean that you will not feed on breast milk and that the breast pump will allow you to enjoy it equally.
- No less relevant is that a breast pump is a great item to ensure that the mother can have the help of her partner at all times when caring for the little one. And is that having a bottle with breast milk will allow the other adult to get up to give the child their food at night, for example. In other words, having this article will help the two adults take turns taking care of the baby, which will help both of them to rest better and not be so exhausted.
- The females that produce a lot of milk also benefit from the breast pump because thanks to it can relieve your breasts that food being removed periodically.
What to look for before buying Manual breast pump?
Type of manual breast pump
When looking for a manual model, you will find that there are two groups in which they are divided:
- Hand pump: These have a lever that when pressed create suction in the breast, to extract milk from it and deposit it in a bottle that can be different brands, you will only need to be compatible.
- Suction pump: This type of pump has a different design from an electric breast pump and a hand model, as it is a small glass that is positioned in the breast and is made mostly of silicone.
Will it be a breast pump to take on a trip or to use at home? The size is a factor that will influence your final decision since it will not be the same a portable model that you can take everywhere, that one of large size, as is the case of the electric.
Compatibility with other bottles
The vast majority of breast pumps include bottles that are compatible so you do not have to make another purchase, but these can also be compatible with other brands, you just have to read the product description.
It is recommended that the breast pump be compatible with different bottles, in this way you will have more place to store the milk.
Easy to use
A breast pump that is difficult to use or not comfortable would make the experience with these accessories something terrible, therefore, from the start, you should take into account that the system to operate the equipment is easy to use.
What you like most about a manual breast pump, besides being economical than an electric one, is that you can take it anywhere with no need to rely on electricity or a plug to charge your battery. Therefore, when choosing a model, look for a breast pump that has a compact size.
Another of the best things about manual breast pumps is that they are extremely quiet. From time to time you may hear some sound when performing the suction, but, in general, they will not make a big noise.
Easy to clean
You should look for a breast pump that is easy to disassemble, in this way you will be able to clean all the difficult spaces to arrive. In addition, if these can be cleaned in the dishwasher, it will be even easier to remove any remaining dirt and that they are made of materials that resist purifiers or high temperatures when boiled.
Unlike breast pumps that are electric, with the manuals you can control the level of suction, so they tend to be much more comfortable. Looking for a model with soft pads and manual massage function will also be very appropriate, will help you have more milk production.
A breast pump that is light will be much easier to transport, especially when you travel. Also, if you plan to carry it in your baby’s bag, it should not be too heavy equipment.
Open or closed system
It is advised that, when it comes to manual breast pumps, a closed pumping system is used, which has a barrier between the suction and the milk that is being collected in the bottles, in this way it is prevented that it could become contaminated.
The flange or silicone pad of the breast pump can be of various sizes, everything will depend on the model you choose and that goes with the size of your breasts. There are also models of universal size.
Many times the use of a manual pump can be complicated by not having a comfortable and ergonomic grip, making your hands can tire easily. For this reason, it is necessary that the equipment has an ergonomic grip that adapts to your hands.
These pumps can be fitted with silicone pads or pads that stimulate milk production by massaging the breast, some may even have textures and make removal more comfortable and easy.
A pump that is easy to assemble and does not have a large number of pieces will be much more practical when traveling with your baby, making it much easier to transport.
6 Tips for using a manual breast pump
- Make sure the equipment is clean and well assembled.
- When starting to extract, milk may take a while to appear. Do not despair and be patient.
- When the milk comes out, adjust the pump level to one similar to when the baby is breastfeeding.
- Change your chest every 5 minutes. Remember that it can take up to 15 minutes to stimulate before starting the extraction.
- When you have finished, remove the bottle and cover it until it is time to feed the child. Remove the parts that can be disassembled from the breast pump and wash them thoroughly, leaving them to dry in the open air.
- Refrigerate the milk immediately. This can last up to five days and it is advisable to label the date of manufacture.
If you are not sure what manual breast pump you need, you can find more information and tips at momjunction.