Looking for the best glucose meter? The glucose meter is a tiny mini-laboratory that practically measures blood sugar. For our list of the best, our specialists have checked an assortment of online tests and have developed tests for wearing, memory space, measurement time, weight and more.
What is the best glucose meter?
The choice of a glucose meter should not be a decision made lightly. It is a device that helps you stay healthy and can save your life, as it has the ability to reduce the risk of seizures, kidney disease, nerve damage and blindness, so you will not want to skimp on performance and quality.
In turn, it is important that you take into account your specific needs or the person who will use it. You should be especially careful if it is someone with vision problems so you can choose a model with instructions and results by audio, as well as taking into account if the user is speaking a different language, so you can count on a device that speaks your language.
But do not worry. As complicated as it seems to choose the perfect model, we prepare the following comparative list of the best models for you. So you can make the right decision and take care of your health in the most comfortable and convenient way possible.
Bayer Contour XT Glucose Meter
Bayer is a brand recognized worldwide for its excellent products and this meter is, without a doubt, one of them. Your system works with electrode test strips and can be used immediately upon purchase and without extra processes. To perform the test you only need to introduce a strip with a blood sample of only 0.6 L
At the same time, it is equipped with automatic coding technology for a lower probability of errors, offers fast results in 5 seconds with error reporting, 480 results memory and automatically summarizes the highest and lowest values detected in the last 7 days. You can set a reminder to monitor after eating and you can even connect to the computer to analyze your data.
It is one of the most comfortable and complete and users have awarded it with their good opinions and their preference.
Abbott Freestyle Freedom Lite
It is very comfortable and easy to use glucose measure. In fact, it only needs a blood sample of 0.3L and offers fast results in just 5 seconds. In turn, it does not need coding, which simplifies its use and avoids errors.
This small device can be connected to the computer to obtain a good analysis of the data and to make a precise follow-up of our progress. It also has a large screen with large numbers for improved visibility and 2 easy-to-use buttons. It allows the puncture in other parts and saves up to 400 results with time and date.
This economical and practical product includes 10 strips, 1 lancet and the meter.
SmartLAB Mini Glucose Monitor
SmartLAB offers the most affordable glucometer on our list. However, that is not all the good that it has for you. In addition to its excellent price, it is a blood sugar meter that only requires a sample of just 0.6L and offers results in 5 seconds.
Also has a memory of 20 measurements and the size of a credit card, so you can keep it in your pocket or even your wallet, which makes it ideal for travel. It is calibrated by plasma and works without using buttons. Undoubtedly one of the models for monitoring at home of smaller size, more comfortable and easy to use for a low price.
Accu-Chek Mobile – Glucose Monitor
This small model uses a system that does not depend on strips. It comes with a cassette that allows you to make up to 50 tests without having to use and discard a single strip, which can be quite beneficial to save a lot of money. Lancet comes built-in and easy to use.
This practical meter works with 4 simple steps and is able to save more than 2000 results in your memory. In addition, it makes average reports of 7, 14, 30 and 90 days that can be seen on the computer for a better analysis, since it is a device that can be connected to the computer.
It is an excellent product. Ideal for people who do not want to spend a lot of money on disposable strips and who also want to remember and compare data to analyze progress.
Medisana glucose meter
It is probably the most elegant and attractive glucose meter on our comparative list. Apart from that, it guarantees a high precision with its new GDA FAD strips, it has a memory of up to 480 readings and it even comes with Bluetooth 4.0 connection to send the data to the computer or iPhone or Android devices and analyze them later.
This blood sugar meter comes with the main device, a lancing device, 10 lancets, 10 test strips, a control solution for calibration and guarantees that the device works properly and a small case to carry the equipment and all your accessories wherever you want without worrying about space or damaging any piece.
It may not be the most economical of the list, but it is undoubtedly one of the most complete, comfortable, best designed and excellent features.
What is a glucose meter?
It is an electronic monitoring device that determines the concentration of sugar in the blood.
The best glucometers have a small puncture device with which they draw capillary blood from the palms of the hands. This blood is located in the small blood vessels directly under the skin. The blood sample in the form of a small drop is applied to a test strip, which the system assesses.
Aside from that, there is still the measurement “mmol / 1” millimoles per litre, which is mainly used in new glucometers. There is absolutely no difference in the accuracy of the measurements. Many manufacturers offer both variants, some glucometers have both units of measurement, which can be changed as desired.
This standard regulates the measurement deviation, i.e. the tolerance limit, within which the measured values may lie, since slight deviations can frequently occur. However, it must be taken into account that 95% of the measured values must be within the tolerance range prescribed by law.
The maximum deviation is precisely defined for a calibrated and accepted instrument. It is only if the recording equipment meets the legal requirements that it receives CE approval and marking and that it can be placed on the market.
We draw your attention to the fact that the CE marking is only a test seal which meets the requirements of the equipment placed on the market. It says nothing about measuring precision and is not a quality label as a natural certification.
How does glucose meter work?
Fortunately, glucose meters come in really small and light presentations that allow you to monitor sugar levels with a tiny drop of blood. These devices are convenient, portable, run on batteries and measure glucose using a small sample of blood that is obtained by pricking one of your fingers with a lancet.
With the quick results offered by these convenient devices, you can know if your glucose levels are high or low at any time; have a view of how your diet, lifestyle and medication affect your blood glucose levels; and allows your health care team to determine what changes are necessary for your treatment so you can maintain adequate levels.
In turn, controlling your blood sugar level is really simple with the models that can be connected to the computer, since you can download your results, observe the data, make graphs with them and more. Remember that these devices are able to help reduce the risk of seizures, kidney disease, nerve damage and blindness, so pay special attention.
Types of glucometers
There are several types of glucose meters on the market, which offer different advantages depending on the way they operate, the results they offer and much more. Next, we explain them to you all:
- All in one: it is so compact, light and comfortable that you can carry it in your pocket, backpack or purse. It is ideal to check your levels constantly and control diabetes.
- Combined with blood pressure: it is a type of 2 in 1 meter since it measures both data at the same time. It is ideal for people with diabetes and high blood pressure who want to monitor at home. It is usually light, compact and portable.
- With feeding supervision: it allows you to know your blood glucose levels before and after each meal. So you can know how each food affects your health.
- Continuous monitoring: this device measures the levels during the day and night and offers average results of between 3 and 7 days for wider monitoring.
- For diabetics with visual impairment: it is special for diabetic people with vision problems or blindness without assistance. The device works with audible instructions and also gives quick results through sound and with little margin of error.
- Glucose meter: it is a fairly advanced process that does not require a blood sample, so it is completely painless. Measure glucose by interstitial fluid that is removed under the skin with electrodes.
What a good glucometer should have
We already saw that there are a good number of types of glucometers in the market. 6 to be exact. Now, in order to choose one that adapts well to your needs and that offers everything you need, it is important to take into account the following basic aspects that every good glucose meter must have to control your blood sugar level :
- Special features: look for a model with easy-to-press buttons, test strips, illuminated screens and audible mode for people with vision problems.
- Accuracy: it is one of the most important aspects. To control the accuracy of your meter, you must test it with a control solution. This comes with specifications, which must be accurate when read by the meter, with a margin of error of up to 15%. Another way to control accuracy is to compare the results with those you receive from the lab.
- Code: some meters have the option of entering a code depending on the type of test strip you use. This allows the results to be more precise. However, most modern meters do not include it because they use better and more advanced test strips.
- Cleaning and maintenance: any blood glucose monitor should be cleaned properly to avoid inaccurate readings. Look for lightweight and comfortable models with easy access for cleaning.
- Expense of meters: the expense of meters can be broad. Find a meter with special functions and find out in online stores and manufacturers’ sites so you can get the meter with the least expense.
- Test strips expense: look for a compatible meter with good quality and good price test strips, since you will use them for life.
- The flexibility of the prick: imagine that you could only take blood samples from only one place in your body. It would be very uncomfortable and surely painful. This is why it is important that you look for a model that allows the puncture in other parts and not only at the tips of the fingers to make it almost painless.
- Size: look for a model with a comfortable size that fits your characteristics and those of the places where you plan to use it and transport it, such as your pockets or a compartment of your backpack.
- Blood sample size: choose a meter that does not require a very large sample. It will be less economical, but it will offer you a simpler and less painful process.
When and how often should I measure my blood sugar?
It is essential that you have a measurement routine that suits your lifestyle. If you have symptoms of hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia, you should also measure your blood sugar.
If you have chosen a smart blood glucose monitoring system, your blood sugar will be continuously monitored by the device and you will not have to think about it yourself.