The freestanding punching bag has its advantages and depending on your needs it can be a good solution. But many models are not strong enough. I give you some tips for choosing the right one.
The punching bag with support is ideal, we will not hide it, but we do not always have the possibility of installing one at home for lack of space or not the possibility of hanging it (in an apartment for example). The problem with this type of bag is that they often do not hold. For a good bag, you will have to pay the price, but no need to empty your wallet either!
What is the best freestanding punching bag?
For those looking to buy a good doll for wrestling, martial arts, boxing, fitness or gym exercises, we have designed a complete comparative list with the 6 best models of today.
In it you will see dolls made with the best materials, adjustable, highly stable and ideal for many different disciplines. It is only a question of choosing according to your needs and demands and that you get the best one for you.
Senshi Japan 6ft Free Standing Leather Punch Bag
Fans and professionals of boxing and martial arts will be quickly convinced by this punching bag specially designed to imitate the strength of the body of an opponent. All attack techniques can be worked.
Perfectly stable, this model incorporates a vented base which must be filled with water to provide an optimal ballast. During training, the base does not move regardless of the hitting technique you are working on.
In addition, its carefully selected manufacturing materials give it exceptional longevity. In fact, leather and steel allow for a reliable and resistant punching bag.
Finally, for efficient and intense training, this punching bag on foot is equipped with several springs allowing it to absorb all shocks.
Century VersysTMVS boxing doll
With 46 cm of diameter and 175 cm of height, this doll with the raised hands is realistic and useful for the majority of the fighters. It also has a weight of about 50 kg with the filling put and 22 kg without filling.
Free Standing – Punch Bag Training Dummy
This brand makes excellent dolls, like this drilling-proof model, made for both men and women and that is realistic for practically any discipline. It even goes beyond the torso and includes the area of the shorts. It has an adjustable height from 155 to 205 cm.
Freestanding Punch Bag – Century
It is a good doll, designed to withstand very strong and constant impacts. It has an adjustable height of 152 cm to 200 cm and, although it does not have the area of pants, it is perfect for gyms and for different types of martial arts and contact sports.
Max Strength 6ft Free Standing Boxing Punching Bag
Perfectly designed for the practice of boxing, this 180 cm high punching bag is able to support your strikes for many, many years. Its longevity is offered by its highly resistant manufacturing materials such as nylon and synthetic leather.
As ballast, you can fill its base with water, sand or both. You will benefit from optimal stability to carry out all your workouts. In addition, the length of this bag allows you to work on all of your attack techniques including high kicks and low kicks.
Perfectly stable and extremely resistant, this free-standing punching bag weighs up to 150 kg when the base is filled.
Big Bob Dummy Pedestal Boxing Bag – Mytra Fusion
Made for professionals, this boxing doll includes the area of shorts to keep hitting and kicking. The base has a capacity of 122 kg of water or sand, the doll has adjustable height and can be disconnected from the base to wrestle.
Lions Free standing boxing Bag
With a height of 182cm and a human torso shape, it can give you one of the most realistic and effective trainings of all. It serves for different styles and is even a good punching bag for feet. Its base is resistant and easy to assemble.
Jiu-Jitsu Grappling Dummy DAAN MMA
It is perfect for Jiu-Jitsu and other fighting styles of struggle. It is made with synthetic leather and can be filled with different materials such as sand or even cotton. There are several sizes, can weigh up to 55 kg and has an excellent presentation style.
Why are punching bags so popular?
If there are already boxing experts and bags to hit, then why use boxing dummies? Well, many people can tell you that spending money on one is the best thing they have done, while others will say that the most recommended is to invest directly in a coach.
The truth is that these dolls, also known as BOB imitate the human torso and even less experienced people can learn with them, to throw good shots and be more effective. They are also useful for kickboxing, boxing, mixed martial arts, Muay Thai, and virtually any other impact discipline.
There are even larger models with shorts to practice kicks with legs and knees.
What you should consider when choosing a punching bag
The quality of your training, and even your safety, depending on the stability of the doll. It is that, if it falls or wobbles, you can end up injuring yourself. The theme is that the dolls have bases that must be filled with some material so that they remain stable and do not turn over. Let’s see what our options are:
- Arena: from the most common and cheap to boxing bags and easily available in stores. You can use it both for the base and for the doll, only you can make a real disaster trying to fill any of the two.
- Water: another of the most popular ingredients for the ease of use and its low cost. It is also very effective, but the only drawback is that it can lead to the accumulation of on your impact doll, which is a big problem that you will want to avoid.
- Cat litter: although it may sound strange to you, cat litter – clean, of course – can give the doll a lot of stability and trap moisture, so you will not have to worry about . It is also a bit easier to use than normal sand.
Your freestanding punching bag will receive blows in heaps, so it must be able to withstand everything and last a long time standing. For this, you have to make sure you choose a good material. That said, the most durable are those of canvas, those covered with polyurethane, those of synthetic plastics and then those of high-density foams. Leather ones also last a long time but require excellent care.
The best dolls in the market can be adjusted in both weight and size so you know how to react and fight against all types of opponents, although they will not be so cheap. There are also other models with adjustable arms and others.
Use with varieties of styles
Being able to train with a doll that allows you to practice many styles is perfect, because only then can you improve in personal , M Thai, boxing, mixed martial arts and practically any other discipline.
Benefits of using a punching bag
In addition to the benefits that we already know as the release of stress and adrenaline, using a punching bag brings a lot of advantages. This improves health and helps in the elimination of fat. Read carefully the benefits you can get from boxing and you are sure that you will want to practice it even more.
- Burn calories at a brisk pace. As it is a high-intensity cardiovascular exercise, it promotes the burning of fat and calories at a higher rate. It is a great way to lose weight and define the muscles of the body. This is why you should not forget to do the exercises at a rhythm that makes you sweat.
- Defined legs. When an athlete hits the bag, he or she must be careful to maintain the correct posture. This results in the adoption of a guard position with the semi-flexed legs. The entire lower part of the body is thus stressed. The belief that boxing only works with arms is a true myth!
- Firm abs. Hitting a punching bag mixes exercises that work the abdominal as well as the cardiovascular. To keep a good position, the athlete must keep his abdominal muscles contracted for the duration of the training. In addition, the exercises that alternate the punches of the left and the right work as much the lower part of the body as the oblique muscles of the belly.
Tips for training with a freestanding punching bag
To practice with your standing / freestanding punching bag, you must be well warmed up so as not to injure yourself. After the effort, it is essential to stretch to avoid aches. In general, proper use obeys the following points:
- Attach the punching bag securely. This presupposes having solid support, in particular, a structural beam or a very solid load-bearing wall;
- Hit well. The punching bag allows above all to develop excellent typing techniques. You must punch well, that is to say, slap properly and smoothly;
- Have good footwork. It’s the minimum. But alas, many beginners develop terrible footwork which is explained by the fact that they spend too much time on their punching bag. Hence the importance of taking into account the following points:
- Stature: you must keep your feet on the ground and stand straight. Avoid leaning on the bag, don’t stick your shoulders on it either. Above all, avoid pushing as if you were beating from the inside;
- Walking: it’s not a question of giving up and walking around the bag. What I’m trying to tell you is to keep your feet on the ground while you go around the bag. Refrain from crossing your legs, and try to visualize your footwork as a walk rather than a jump! Finally, avoid skipping everywhere as beginners tend to do. You will waste your energy, you will not appreciate the range, and you will have a posture less anchored to the ground. Therefore, this will limit your body movements and your punching power.
- Freestanding punching bag for an apartment: take care to keep a sufficiently large space between the punching bag and your wall.