Mowers are very useful tools that not only help us mow the lawn but keep it healthy and with a neat appearance. The best electric lawn mower will also do it in the most convenient way for you, without consuming much energy and in the most silent and efficient way possible.
In case you did not know, there are several types of these devices. There are electric, with comfortable seats, gasoline, push, light, batteries, automatic and more. That’s why later we’ll explain everything about these models and how to know which is the most appropriate for you and your garden.
In turn, some models are so convenient that they require virtually no maintenance other than sharpening the blades once a year.
What is the best electric lawn mower?
As always, it is our job to help you to always be able to buy the best products for your home and your family. That is why we have prepared this comparative list so that you can choose the lawn mower that best suits your garden, your needs and your comfort and convenience.
The 5 models below offer variety, versatility, comfort and a good quality cut.
1. Bosch Rotak 40 lawn mower
The most economical
It is an electric model of 1200 W capacity and cutting width of 40 centimetres. It has a surface capacity of around half squire meter, so it is ideal for small gardens.
In turn, it has a side comb for cutting in complex areas and a 20-liter grass collection tank that allows you to mow the lawn for a long time without having to empty it.
It has a long cable that facilitates movement, is light, economical and quite silent. It also has wide wheels that facilitate its handling.
This push mower is capable of cutting grass soft and low, but also high grass, wet and more complicated. It is a model of good quality at the best price.
2. Black & Decker lawn mower Edge-Max
One of the most powerful
Black & Decker is a brand that has accustomed us to its tools of excellent quality, versatility, efficiency and durability, just like this electric lawn mower.
It does not have batteries, but uses a 14 m long cable. It has a motor with power of 1600 watts, which can cut any type of lawn on a surface of up to 750 m 2 .
It has wide edge technology to cut in complex and closed places and, in turn, comes with a cutting width of 34 cm to avoid having to take many passes in the same area.
It offers good mobility and also has a deposit of 45 l to store the remains of grass. It comes with capacity to cut grass from 2 to 7 cm and is available at a great price.
3. Einhell GE-EM 1843 HW lawn mower
One of the great favorites
This is the most powerful electric lawn mower on the list, which, thanks to its 1800 W engine, can cut the highest, wettest and thickest lawn you can find.
It has the capacity to cut gardens with a surface of up to 800 m 2 and a filling tank of 63 liters, so you can cut a large area without having to stop.
At the same time, it has 6 adjustable cutting stages to cut areas of 2.5 to 7.5 cm in height, cutting area 36 cm wide and weighs 21 kg and 230 volts.
Although it does not have the lowest price, it is the ideal mower if you are looking for a powerful and good quality for a garden of medium to large size.
4. Ryobi RLM 13 E 33 S Electric Lawn Mower
The best price-value ratio
It is a good electric model with padding system to dispose of the grass remains, which will serve as a free fertilizer for your garden or patio.
With its 1300 W power and 33 cm cutting blade, this model is good for small and medium surfaces, although it can cut tall and moist herbs as well.
It is a manual model, with grass collection tank of 35 l and controls located at a good height and with a comfortable and ergonomic design.
It has two front side wedges that help cut across the width of the machine, to avoid having to make many passes to the same area. Due to its good maneuverability and light weight it is suitable for even difficult areas.
It offers an excellent price-value ratio.
5. Makita ELM3800 lawn mower
Excellent quality and versatility
One of the most affordable models on our list comes from Makita, a brand recognized for its tools and equipment of good quality.
Its power of 1400 W makes it ideal for small gardens such as those that can be seen in homes in the city or in small businesses, with surfaces of up to 0,500 m.
It has 5 cutting stages to adjust to different grass heights, 38 cm wide cutting blade and a 40 liter capacity cuttings collection box with filling indicator so you do not have to stop so often to empty it.
The handlebar is comfortable and ergonomic and has a lever lock for easy folding when not in use. It weighs about 13 kg and, if you are looking for quality and low price, this model is a great option.
Types of lawn mowers
Buying a lawn mower is not as easy as choosing a notebook. These devices exist in many types, with different features and different operating modes. The truth is that the best model will depend on you and your needs.
Some are more efficient than others, more complex and more expensive. However, there are more affordable mowers that serve gardens and small patios, so if you have a garden with those characteristics, maybe the simplest model comes better.
- Zero turns: these models are the best in the market. They are a bit more expensive, but since they do not have a turning radius, they are more efficient, which is why they are preferred by professionals.
If you can afford it, having one of these will allow you to cut the lawn quickly and effectively.
- With seat: they are not as good as those with zero turning radius, but they are quite comfortable and efficient. They are great for people with a large patio or garden, since you can do the job sitting and in less time than with other types of mowers. You will not get tired as much as with the push or electric models.
- Battery: these are also known as cordless mowers and are quite portable, silent, lightweight and versatile thanks to its rechargeable battery.
They usually have a range of 60 to 90 minutes, which makes them ideal for medium-sized courtyards. In larger gardens you will need a recharge to continue.
They are a bit more affordable than the previous two models.
- Petrol: this type of lawn mower has been very popular for a long time, but more and more people are replacing them with electric models. They are mobile and can work well anywhere and in gardens of any size. Remember that you can find mowers with seat, without turns and thrust driven by fuel.
- Electrical: now we refer to those that do have wiring and do not use batteries. Their advantage is that they are quieter and more environmentally friendly than models that use fuels and are practically unlimited because you connect them to the wall and you have energy without stopping.
The downside is that you need an electrical outlet nearby and you have to take care not to trip or step on the cable accidentally.
- Push: is the simplest model of all. They are ideal for gardens and small patios, but not for medium or large areas, since they take too long to cut the grass
These models cut more smoothly, so it will keep your lawn healthier. In turn, they can cut thick grass, but you have to move them, so be sure you will sweat.
- rails: they are good for very small gardens or if you have a budget since they are really cheap. They are the most ecological because they do not use gasoline or electricity and also keep your lawn healthy because they are gentle. Plants will be less susceptible to diseases, they will lose less water and they will look better.
The only thing that they need of maintenance is a little of lubrication and to sharpen the blades every certain time.
- Robotic: these modern mowers are becoming better and more intuitive. By turning the lawn mowing into an automatic task, you can save all that time and effort and dedicate it to other tasks and activities that interest you more.
What you should look for when buying a lawn mower
Having the right model for you depends on a series of aspects that determine its efficiency, convenience, comfort and more. Now we explain them to you all:
- Strength: depends on the size of the engine in the models driven by gasoline and the battery voltage in the electric models.
For fuel, 140cc engines are weak, while those of 180/190 cc are more powerful. As for electricity, 20 volts is low strength, but 36 or more is a large capacity.
If you have to cut the grass high and wet frequently, you will need about 180 cc or 30 V, but if you have to cut grass softer and not so high, 140 cc or 20 V will be enough.
If you take about 30 or 45 minutes to do the work, the best will be an electricity model that is quieter, but if it takes 60 minutes or more, you better choose the model with fuel.
- Manual vs. driving: the mowers can be manual or have a system so you can drive them. The manuals are best for flat and small patios, while the driving are ideal for steep or large courtyards.
The driving comes with front, rear and all-wheel drive. The front is the most popular option because it lets you pivot with the rear wheels and make more closed turns. The rear-wheel drive is better for slanted yards and the all-wheel drive is a premium feature for more complicated terrain.
- Ignition method: we all know the priming and pull button models for the engine to turn on. You have to press a button and then pull the cable until it starts.
However, there is also electronic ignition, which works just by passing a key. The second type of ignition is much more comfortable, quick and simple, but less economical.
- Air butterfly: the mowers have a part called air butterfly, which regulates the amount of air entering the carburetor (where the engine mixes the fuel with air).
At low temperatures, there should be less air than fuel, so the butterfly should be a little closed. Once you turn on the mower, you should open the butterfly a little. It is a tedious task, so look for a model that opens and closes it automatically.
- Mower width: this indicates how large the portion of grass that will cut the device in one pass. The push models range from 35 to 55 cm, while those with a seat range from 53 to 60 cm.
In general, the maximum garden size suitable for cutting with a push model is ¾ acre and any larger size should be cut with a seat model to save time and effort.
- Disposal of the remains: there are 3 ways in which the mowers get rid of the grass they cut:
- Padding: the mower finely grinds the herbs and deposits them in the ground to act as fertilizer.
- Scrap to the side: the remains are thrown towards the grass from one side. It is an efficient feature for cutting tall grass.
- Collection: this system collects the waste in a bag placed in the back. If you are worried that the remains are expelled and hit people or pets or dirty your porch, this system is ideal.
- Ease of maintenance: no lawnmower is immune to damage from use and abuse and requires maintenance, either to recharge gasoline or the electric battery or to sharpen the blades.
Remember that the best models have easily replaceable and easily accessible parts.