This purchasing guide is made especially for you covering the best and most popular car battery charger models, we will give you a summary of its features, how they work and what you can expect from each of them.
We start with a simple table that describes the main specifications and characteristics of each of the battery chargers that I will explore in this guide to help you make the right decision regarding your needs.
Comparison Best Car Battery Chargers
Which Car Battery Charger to Buy?
To give you an answer to this question we have reviewed dozens of battery chargers from leading brands, including NOCO, Black and Decker, Einhell, Suaoki, CTEK, Silverline, among others. So keep reading so you can see which brands earned a place on our list below.
NOCO Genius G3500 – Best Smart Car Battery Charger
We started our list with which, from our point of view, is the best car battery charger today. It is the NOCO Genius G3500.
The G3500 isnot only an excellent charger but also a very good portable automatic battery maintainer for both 6V and 12V lead-acid batteries as well as 12V lithium-ion batteries.
The G3500 is designed to load cars, boats, motor homes, SUVs, diesel trucks, motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles, personal watercraft, lawnmowers and much more.
This efficient charger monitors the activity of the battery for a safe and efficient charge with zero overloads. In case you think little among its advantages is that it has abuilt-in battery disulter to rejuvenate the low-performance batteries and thus increase its life.
Additionally, it can be used as a battery maintainer to keep the starting and deep cycle batteries fully charged.
- Charging speed: 120Ah
- Charging Amperage: 3.5 amps
- Power consumption: 60 watts (maximum)
- Suitable for: wet cell batteries (flooded), gel cells, calcium, lithium ions, AGM, improved flooded battery or any maintenance-free battery.
- Charges lead-acid batteries and lithium ions up to 120 amp-hours.
- Recovers batteries deeply discharged up to 2 volts.
- Advanced diagnostic indication for damaged batteries.
- Progressive repair mode for highly sulphated 12V batteries.
- Highly resistant thanks to its rubber base.
- Resistant to water, shock, dirt and dust.
- 5 year limited warranty
- You can not charge batteries that are fully discharged.
- For some
users, the power cord is a bit short.
- Some comments indicate the clamps do not fit very well to the battery terminals.
NOCO Genius G3500
We are facing one of the most advanced and complete car battery chargers available today. Despite not being the cheapest car battery charger on our list, thanks to its quality, durability, versatility and number of functions it is well worth the investment.
Black + Decker BDV090
The well-known brand Black and Decker has among its products the very complete BDV090 charger which is in this position because it is one of the most sold car battery chargers in Amazon UK.
It is an excellent charger and battery holder at a price practically as a gift so we could easily catalogue it as the car battery charger with the best value for money, in addition to having a lot of excellent comments and a series of features that they make an excellent purchase.
The BDV090 is ideal for charging 6V and 12V lead-acid batteries. Additionally, it is designed with an automatic changeover function, once the battery is charged, to the maintenance function, thus avoiding unexpected overloads.
The BDV090 car battery charger practically fully automatically charges through 3 possible connection modes: 12V / DC output, battery clamps or ring terminals. And if that were not enough, it keeps the optimal battery charge when it is not in use, especially during the low season.
In тхе case of decompensation, it has a low voltage compensation system that guarantees maximum performance when used with extension cables.
- Input voltage: 230 Vac
- Nominal input: 25 W
- Output voltage: 6.0 / 12.0 Vdc
- Output current: 1.0 A
- Maximum battery capacity: 100 Ah
- Weight: 0.4 Kg
- Maintains the optimal charge in case of battery inactivity.
- Only one charger for all loading needs.
- Three connection modes and battery charging.
- Ideal for 6V and 12V lead-acid batteries.
- Size and weight very manageable.
- Unbeatable quality/price ratio.
- Ideal for charging motorcycle batteries.
- Only anд exclusive for acid batteries.
- Some cases it has been indicated that it does not include the 12V cigarette lighter connection.
- It does not diagnose possible faults or indicates the state of the battery charge.
- Some users indicate that the load is a bit slow.
In the BOX
- 1 battery charger and maintenance.
- 12V connector for charging through the cigarette lighter socket.
- Battery terminals and cables.
- Holes for fixing.
CTEK MXS 5.0 – Efficient Car Battery Charger
If you ask yourself what is the best car battery charger? I assure you that the MXS 5.0 model of CTEK can consider it as one of the best options available in the market.
The MXS 5.0is a very complete charger which is designed with automatic temperature compensation for the best charging performance of your battery, especially in extreme weather conditions.
The CTEK MXS 5.0 is a battery charger that offers unparalleled performance for lead-acid batteries from 1.2Ah to 110Ah. Additionally, it includes a battery diagnosis to establish if your battery can receive and retain a charge, it also has a patented automatic
The MXS 5.0 loader uses CTEK’s patented buoyancy/boost system, which is the most efficient maintenance mode when a battery is connected for long periods of time. The entire process of checking, charging and maintaining the battery can easily follow it through aclear LED indicator.
Simple operation just plugs in, select the program and mode, let the charger do the rest. It is safe, protects the electronics of the vehicle, does not produce sparks and is protected against reverse polarity and short circuits.
- Input: 220-240VAC, 50-60Hz, 0.6A maximum
- Charge current: max. 5 A
- Charger type: 8-stage fully automatic charging cycle.
- Types of batteries: All types of lead-acid batteries, 12V, HUMID, MF, Ca / Ca, AGM, GEL.
- 12 V charger and 8 charging stages, fully automatic type “connect and forget”.
- Splash-proof and dust-proof.
- Integrated temperature compensation.
- Perfect for both motorcycles and cars.
- 5-years warranty
- It has a moderately high cost compared to others on the list.
- For some users, the power cord is a bit short.
Suaoki – Best Value for Money
If you are still looking for the best battery charger for your car, this is a great option, it is the Suaoki brand. This efficient charger detects if your battery requires 6 or 12-volt charging and offers an 8-stage charging process.
When the battery is fully charged it minimizes the current and becomes a battery maintainer, providing a constant voltage load 24/7.
Thanks to an LCD screen you will be informed of the status of the load, plus it allows you to read the current and charge voltage in real-time, as well as diagnostic information.
The Suaoki car charger has protection against reverse polarity, protection against overheating, protection against overload; It also comes with spark-proof clamps.
- Input voltage: 100-240V 50-60Hz
- Output voltage: 6V / 12V AUTO
- Output current: 1A, 4A (59W MAX)
- Weight: 0.58kg
- Dimensions: 18.4 x 15 x 6cm
- Restores the last configuration.
- Detects the sulphated battery and tries to repair if possible.
- Snow mode for use in low-temperature environments.
- Very small, complete and easy to use a charger.
It automatically detects the voltage of the battery, but the battery type must be set manually.
In the BOX
- Battery Clamp
- Small hole terminal connector
- User’s manual
Suanoki Battery Charger Review
Users are really so satisfied with the purchase of the
What to Keep in Mind When Buying a Car Battery Charger?
Selecting the right battery charger depends on your needs. First, you have to ask yourself if you need to fully recharge a dead battery or just keep the battery fully charged? To be clear about the charge of the battery means that you need to fully recharge a discharged battery while maintaining the batteryrequires a simple slow charge.
Most battery chargers perform both functions, but understanding their limits and the amount of time to recharge depends on the size of the battery and the vehicle. So you must take into account the following parameters so that you choose the right charger for you:
- Voltage: You just need to know the voltage with which your battery works. Almost all cars operate with a 12V system. Unless you’re looking for a multifunctional charger that not only charges your car’s battery but also your utility vehicles, the charger you choose should have 6V of power.
- Amperage: The higher the amperage, the faster the battery will charge. But charging the battery quickly is not always good. In this case, I recommend a battery charger with automatic detection of voltage and amperage ( smart charger ). This way it is not necessary that you get involved with the configuration. Simply connect it and you’re done.
- Battery Type: Although today most chargers are capable of charging almost any type of battery, it is important that you make sure you know the type of battery in your car so that you can acquire the right charger for your car. you.
- Size and weight: This will depend on the space you have to have your charger. Usually, they weigh less than 1 kg, although you can find less portable models that can weigh more than 7 kg. I recommend a small and light model that is easy to have in your trunk.
- Safety: The portable car battery charger of your choice must-have safety features that can help prevent damage to the battery, short-circuit protection, reverse polarity, overload and overheating.
How to connect car battery charger?
The first thing to identify to connect a charger is the polarities of the cables that are going to be connected to the battery. They are usually identified with the red colour in the positive (+)and black colour in the negative (-)once detected they are connected in the poles of the same symbol located in the battery.
Important Do not connect anything without making sure you know which terminal is which!
How to Use Car Battery Charger?
Although today the different applications and features of many battery chargers can make it harder to use, the general process for setting up a car battery charger is always the same:
- First, make sure to remove the negative battery cable from the negative terminal and then remove the positive battery cable from the positive terminal.
- Make sure your charger is not plugged into an outlet and that the ignition switch (if applicable) is in the off position.
- Connect the positive cable of the charger to the positive terminal.
- Connect the negative charge cable to the negative terminal.
- Turn on your charger and mark the appropriate configuration (if applicable).
- Check the charger frequently during the entire charging process to make sure there are no problems.
- Do not touch or move any of the charger cables while the charger is in operation.
- Turn off the charger and unplug it before removing the cables from the battery charger.
- Disconnect the negative charge cable first.
- Disconnect the positive charging cable.
- Reconnect the positive battery cable.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable.
How long does it take to charge a car battery?
This will depend on many factors such as the capacity and the percentage of dischargethat the battery has. Another important fact is the load speed measured in amperes (A)delivered by the charger at the output.
Where to Buy Car Battery Charger?
There are certainly many places where you can buy a battery charger for your car, I personally recommend that you do it through the internet, specifically by Amazon. And I’ll explain why:
Find lots of models to choose from.
You can find better deals than if you go to a car shop.
Save having to leave home and do searches in different stores besides long queues to pay.
They take the product in a short time to the door of your home.
Virtually all teams have hundreds of buyer reviews.
They have a really good return and a complaints system.
As you can see there are several car battery chargers to choose from, all have advantages and disadvantages. However, I can recommend with confidence the NOCO Genius G3500, the Black and Decker, the CTEK MXS 5.0 and the Suaoki.
While I personally consider that any model of the NOCO Geniusbrand is the best on the market, any of these other units will work well for virtually any user. In summary:
- Most sold and with more reviews: Black + Decker BDV090
- Most versatile battery charger: CTEK MXS 5.0
- Best loader for diagnostics, maintenance and repair: NOCO Genius G3500
- Best Value for Money: Suaoki
I hope this guide has helped you find the perfect battery charger to meet your needs and that is within your budget.