If you are an artist, a major dilemma is the choice of artist paint brushes. For art painting, each technique involves choosing different brushes, discriminated according to their hair, their handle, the type of point, the shape, the weight or their size.
Our pick for best artist paint brushes?
Some brushes recommended for painting professionals and those who venture into this form of art must meet the following premises:
Comfort: Corresponds to the ability to be handled without creating pain between your fingers.
Quality: They must be elaborated in optimal materials and of great duration.
Variety: There are presentations on the market that you can buy with different alternatives for the layout.Royal Gold Paint Brushes RSET-GTF
Assorted and varied.
Paint Brushes – 15 Pc Art Brush Set
An elegant model with great practicality thanks to its nylon case that will allow you to take them wherever you go. It brings about 15 variations in sizes and arrangement of its bristles to draw, work in angles, nuance and other interesting effects to paint acrylic, oil, watercolour and gouache.
Set of Da Vinci Brushes
Do you want to give a memorable gift to a lover of painting? This is the ideal option! Although its appearance is simple, for its wooden storage box with a natural finish, it has the basic elements for the development of this activity: 4 watercolour brushes and a piece of soap.
Artify 38 Pcs Paint Brushes Art Set
This brand brings us some cheap artist brushes, the excellent relationship between quality and price. It has a wide variety of shapes for flat and round strokes in different sizes, which make a total of 38 units. Its synthetic hair strands support continuous work. It comes in a cloth case.
Brushes Art Supply Central
The true experts in the elaboration of paintings and who attend to every detail will know how to recognize the added value of these brushes. There are 14 pieces made by hand, with a strong and durable structure between synthetic material and natural hair. The fan, round, hazel and fine shapes reach impressive results.
15 Pieces Artist Brush Set Mudder
Arranged in a case with velcro closure comes this set of low-cost brushes, the cheapest of this comparison. In addition to the 15 tools with assorted shapes, a small paddle blade and a sponge are included to achieve quality finishes on your canvases.
What to consider when choosing artist paint brushes?
When looking for a set of brushes, either to replace old ones or acquire new ones, you should evaluate their parts, classified as follows:
Each part of a brush fulfils a specific function, and we can subdivide it into:
- Bristles: They are the strands of hair that make up the tip of the brush, and that retain the water well as well as the paint to apply it on a canvas, and that they will be thick or thin.
- Virola: It is the clamp that serves to join the bristles with the handle of the brush. They are usually made of moldable metal.
- Crimp to pressure: It is the part of the ferrule that is sealed under pressure to ensure each sow and minimize the chances that these are released.
- Handle: It can be made in wood, in its most classic form, as well as in plastic and even in metal.
The paintbrush comes with different shapes, this with the purpose of causing a distinctive effect in each stroke. Between them we have:
- Round: They can be thick or thin, to work on great detail projects or apply final touches.
- Plane: This shape helps to reach edges and create more straight lines created by pulse. Both in oily and acrylic paints.
- Brilliant: The strands of this type of brush are shorter than the flat ones, although they are often confused. They work in minor jobs or fast execution.
- Countersunk: With a flat shape but semicircular cut in each sow, this brush will contribute to the realization of perfect works in different paintings.
- Fan: The distinctive look enhances the entire set, with a shape that resembles a small brush. It allows the creation of waves or a blurred effect with great ease.
Some brushes demarcate from the rest with particular forms, such as:
- Hake: Asian artists often use them to create their most representative works.
- Girdle: Incorporate a large number of bristles together to create large-scale works, such as murals and canvases of larger dimensions.
- Dagger: Its shape resembles a blade for delicate, smooth and fast strokes, creating almost imperceptible lines.
You must choose that brush with which you are most comfortable to work, observing its dimensions in terms of:
- Length: A long handle produces loose traces, and the short ones serve to secure details.
- Diameter: The marks made with the paint will be related to the thickness of the brush.
- Width: Choose a model that fits your hands and your grip capacity for a long time.
Some tips on how to care for your brushes
Follow these tips to enjoy this product for much longer:
- Clean your brush immediately after use: Do not let the paint dry on them. They will lose their smoothness and effectiveness.
- Between the painting session, clean your brush with a brush cleaner, soapy water or shampoo: Gently remove any remaining paint without using abrasive products that could damage it.
- Try to clean only the base of the bristles: This is the area of the greatest accumulation of paint, therefore, should not be neglected in its maintenance.
- Never store your brushes vertically in water or solvent: By filling your brush internally with water, you will be weakening the grip of the metal ferrule, which would allow your bristles to be detached. It could also damage the handle with moisture.
- Store clean brushes vertically upside down or horizontally: This will prevent drips that may compromise its structure.