Many consumers tend to settle for the keyboards included in their PC or Mac desktop, which are usually quite generic, not very ergonomic and with few functions or convenient special features. However, the best wireless keyboard will give you very practical functions such as hot keys, special keys, comfortable and modern design, simplicity and convenience.
The ease of being able to connect a versatile wireless keyboard and place it exactly where you feel most comfortable and the way you like it is not replaced with anything. At the same time, you can have them to use your computer from the bed because they come with Bluetooth and there are even models designed for mobile that work with Android. There are even some compatible to use Smart TV!
If you are looking for a convenient and practical keyboard that you can use at a distance from your computer and with the best possible design, read on because we will explain everything about these useful devices.
What is the best wireless keyboard?
Choosing a wireless keyboard may not be a very simple task. There are many types, with different types of connection, special keys, types of keys and more. Some work with tablets and your mobile, while others are not compatible with older Bluetooth systems.
The most important thing is that each model varies in writing speed and the ease with which you can write or select keys and the amount of pressure they require, so there are some models more oriented to professional players, or full-time writers. There are even keyboards with built-in touchpad for more versatility and practicality.
However, we bring you the following list comparative with the five best models of the market based on their speed, convenience, ergonomic design and special features. All so you can choose the one that best meets your needs.
1. Logitech K780 Wireless Keyboard
Excellent compatibility and connectivity
This Bluetooth keyboard is perfect for those who want to use it in a fixed place, but still seek to have the greatest flexibility and versatility possible to use it with other devices such as tablets or smartphones.
It has compatibility with Windows and Mac OS 10.10 and 10.11, iOS and Android and offers the possibility to connect with 3 devices of any of these operating systems at the same time and go from one to another with a single button press. Some very interesting is the design of the keys, which is rounded for a better feel and feel for quick and comfortable typing.
It has a range of 10 meters, it is QWERTY type in Spanish, so it has the letter Ñ. It also comes equipped with a full numeric keypad and includes an integrated support for mobile or tablets.
2. Rii K18 Wireless Keyboard
Great versatility and convenience
This is one of the most economical keyboards on the market and the second one on our list. It is a QWERTY model in Spanish with 2.4GHz radio frequency connection and small and convenient USB receiver.
It is elegant, modern, with an attractive design and is easy to use and comfortable to transport. It is compatible with tablets, Raspberry PI 2/3, iOS, PC and Mac, Linux, to use Smart TV, Android and much more. In fact, it is one of the most versatile and with the greatest compatibility in our list.
At the same time, it comes equipped with F1 to F10 keys to control multimedia options, load status LEDs and upper case indicator and even an ultrasensitive touchpad and multi-touch capability to control more functions on your device. It also has an energy saving function.
3. Microsoft Universal Foldable Keyboard
The most compact and foldable
Microsoft is a leading brand in technology and has not been left behind in the race to make the best wireless keyboards. This QWERTY model connects with Bluetooth 4.0 and has a really portable mini format that can be folded. It is also important to consider that it uses silicone membrane switch system.
With it you can have a way to work easily with your tablet or smartphone anywhere and anytime. In fact, it is compatible with Windows computers, iPads and Android devices.
It has a light weight of 340 grams, is really compact, takes up almost no space and uses a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. However, it comes in English format, so do not expect letter Ñ.
4. Rii Mini i28C Wireless keyboard
The most affordable and striking
Unlike most wireless keyboards and their rectangular designs, this model has a quite different and, to tell the truth, attractive form. This shape makes it really ergonomic and comfortable for your bones and joints.
Not only is compatible with Windows and Mac computers, but also has connectivity for mobile and Android devices by radio frequency thanks to its USB 2.4 GHz connector. It has a Spanish design with the letter Ñ and also includes backlight for able to play, write or schedule at night.
With it you can also control Raspberry Pi, Google TV Box, Smart TV and many other modern electronic devices. It also has a rechargeable lithium battery and features multimedia and volume controls, as well as a very good quality touchpad.
5. Apple MLA22Y / A keyboard
The perfect keyboard for Mac
This model is the official solution of the Cupertino company to give a wireless keyboard to your Mac with Bluetooth and QWERTY design that also includes a lightning port connector. Its construction is, as in most Apple designs, fine, elegant and really compact.
At the same time, it is quite durable and even luxurious thanks to its aluminum construction. The route of the keys is adequate and really easy to use and also have a good range of connectivity of up to 9 meters.
It uses a scissor mechanism under the keys, which provides excellent typing speed and a totally comfortable and pleasant feeling when using it. Another really positive aspect is its rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which can last up to 720 hours of continuous use.
What to look for in a wireless keyboard?
Wireless keyboards can improve your performance by helping you write more efficiently or to beat your enemies more quickly in a video game. That’s why you need to choose a model that offers several things.
Mainly, what you should look for is speed and a comfortable and ergonomic design so you can use it for hours and hours when working or playing on your computer, tablet or mobile. It must also be compact.
Always think of the most convenient and effective connection mode for you and what you need, comfortable and versatile keys, a light weight, compatibility with your computers or devices and other things like a numeric keypad.
Now we explain more thoroughly what you should look for:
- Radio frequency or Bluetooth: many keyboards can be used with a small USB receiver by radio frequency 2.4 GHz. These usually have more battery than models with Bluetooth, with the exception of Bluetooth 4.1 low power consumption.
These models usually do well and, although they may have some interference in the signal, they are more economical and have 128-bit encryption. In addition, you can use a single USB connector for up to 6 different devices.
On the other hand, Bluetooth keyboards often have compatibility problems with old computers with old standards such as 1.0 or 2.0. And, although the process is still simple, connecting them to the computer is more complicated than with radio frequency.
However, they are more portable and smaller and can be connected to various devices such as tablets, phones, game consoles and more.
- Direct pass USB: these are USB receivers that allow you to use the keyboard and connect another device at the same time, such as flash memory, headphones or wired mice. They are not totally necessary, but they can be useful and practical.
- AV ports: there are keyboards with ports for headphones or microphones, which allows you to manage and use them more easily because they are closer to you.
They directly affect the usability of the keyboard, its response and durability:
- Silicone dome: they are typical of the smaller range of keyboards. They include a silicone membrane under which there are several small domes, all below the key cover.
They lack sensitivity and you have to press each key completely to mark it really. They are not good for video games where you must step on many keys at once or if you have to use complicated commands with several keys at the same time. If you need speed, they are not a good option.
- Scissors switch: they are in the middle between silicone and mechanical. The best models have tactile feedback so you know when you press the key, which increases your speed when writing or playing.
They have a central selector and a scissors-like plastic under each key and register the key selection no matter where you press it.
They are typical of laptops with low profile keys and are of good quality, long lasting, affordable and of good speed.
- Mechanics : they are the ideal models for heavy use of video games, professional writing or users of constant use. Under each key there is a spring that makes the key really sensitive and you just need a little pressure to make the selection. That’s why typing speed is greatly improved.
Most have QWERTY keys, but there are models with other keys that increase the capabilities and performance of the keyboard.
- Special keys: Many keyboards have special function keys, such as media player controls, a button for the internet browser, button for the search bar, screen settings or volume controls.
Some have keys for specific programs such as calendar, calculator, mail or word processor.
- Numeric keypad: not all keyboards have 10 numeric keys, so keep this in mind if you need to enter and work with numbers and numbers constantly. It is also possible to buy a separate numeric keypad, which is usually compact and portable.
- Programmable keys: it is a good function that allows you to add macros or commands to certain keys. With them you could, for example, take a combo that uses many keys inside a video game and program it to work with a single special key. This way you will obtain great advantages and you will be invincible.
But if yours is more oriented to the speed of typing, this function also allows you to program a key to do specific tasks such as copy or paste text, open your favorite browser and anything that improves your productivity.
While they are not essential, they do make things a lot easier and are quite useful for heavy users.
There are other aspects that make a keyboard great and perfectly convenient. Aspects like keys with backlight and a compact and comfortable design can improve your experience greatly:
- Ergonomic features: the keyboard you buy must be designed according to your health and comfort after long hours of continuous use to take care of your nerves and joints.
There are keyboards with curved edges to rest the wrists and others with strange shapes and keys aligned differently so that your hands are kept in a neutral position to improve your circulation and reduce stress in muscles and bones.
- Avoid false footsteps: also known as fantasmeo, false footsteps are a problem for fast writers and professional players who make multiple selections very fast but find that some are not effective. This can make you lose in your favorite video game or lose time and productivity when writing.
To avoid them, look for wireless keyboards with the ability to record 5 to 10 simultaneous footsteps.
- Penny configuration: is a necessary feature for players, since it is about the time it takes the keyboard to communicate with the computer. Normal is a frequency of pennyroyal of 125 Hz, that is, 125 communications per second with the computer.
However, professional players need a frequency of between 500 and 1000 Hz so that their footprints are recorded on time and have better results.
- Profiles: they are not essential but they are undoubtedly a good additional feature that makes the keyboard more versatile. A profile model allows you to configure several macros or special key sets for certain functions, such as macros that you can use in Word or Excel to increase your productivity.
So, when you leave any of those programs and go to another video editing, for example, you can configure another profile with other keys for specific tasks.
If you are a player, you can have a profile for each video game with each combination and special keys you use. So you can have a profile for League Of Legends, another for GTA V and another for Dark Souls.
- Backlighting: same as the others, it is not as necessary, but it is a detail that can greatly improve the use of the keyboard at night or any environment in darkness.
It also gives a pretty modern and attractive look to your keyboard. To make matters worse, some models let you change the color and brightness of the backlight and even make the lights change color in sequence.